Skip to main content

Another Happy Recipient!

 I finished another t-shirt quilt for a very special friend, Swapna Kakani!  I have so much respect and admiration for this young lady.  She has gone through a lot in her life and never complains and always has a smile on her face.  I was very honored to make this quilt for her.  I hope every time she uses it, she remembers that she has a friend who is thinking of her and praying for her constantly!  She actually came over and helped work on it.  She had never learned to sew before, so I tried to be a good teacher and give her some really good lessons on building quilts and working with tshirts.  

She graduated from the University of Alabama, Birmingham.  So she had all of her old t-shirts that she wanted made into a quilt.  We were going to do a double sided quilt, UAB shirts on one side and her charity work shirts on the other side.  (Here is where my admiration comes in...she has so many things going on in her own life, but she's constantly trying to figure out ways to give back through charity work!  That says a ton about her character and the values that her parents have instilled in her.)  But she decided she'd rather have two quilts instead.  She's going to let me "rag" her other t-shirt quilt!  I'm very excited about that!  I've been wanting to make a "rag" quilt for a while now. 

 I made this label on my Babylock Unity machine.  I also did the pretty border by connecting several sewing designs on my Unity.  I love my sewing machine! Have I said that before?! Well, let me say it again!! I LOVE MY BABYLOCK UNITY!!!  It has so many different useful features for quilters.  Making labels is just one of them!  I just purchased some software from DIME (Designs in Machine Embroidery) for quilting!  I'm very excited about that also!  I'll add more on my blog about that as I learn to use it.  (DIME...are you listening?  I'd be happy to test out your software for you and do projects!)

I have not had any problems with any of the embroidery I have done on my Unity. I would highly recommend a Babylock sewing machine to anyone.  

 The finished quilt ended up being a king size quilt, approximately 106 wide by 110 long. (Swapna and her dad are actually standing on a table holding up the quilt.  They aren't really that tall!)  I never know how big they will be until I cut up the t-shirts and start laying them out.  I knew this one would end up large.  I think Swapna did a great job on picking out her colors.  She told me I started a bad habit.  Now when she goes to a store, she seeks out fabric and gets samples!  Not a bad habit...in my opinion!  You're never too young to start your own fabric stash!
I used the rest of the material and made a scrappy looking back for the quilt.  It is very difficult on such a large quilt to layer the quilt "sandwich" so it was slightly crooked.  But that's why it's called "handmade".  It makes it very unique.  I did tell Swapna that from now on, unless I'm "quilting as I go", only one backing material color is allowed! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 In a Flash

Is it already 2020?  How did that happen?  I promise you I did a ton of quilting last year.  I'll post them all below. But first, my husband and I also went on a grand adventure for our 20th anniversary! You'll have to check out those blog posts on my travel site:   https://cynztravelblog.blogspot.com/ Let's see:  the first quilt of the year went to a return customer.  I made her daughter a quilt and she asked me to make her son a tshirt quilt.  He was getting married and had just joined the Air Force.  This turned into a huge quilt.  But she told me to use all of the shirts she gave me. I made some place mats to send to California for Katie.  I used the same color fabrics that I had leftover from her tshirt quilt.  They turned out really cute! I made my nephew a few fun gifts. They met us in Glacier National Park for a week. Did I tell you that my husband and I took an amazing 20th anniversary trip to Glacier National Park in Montana?!  It is a ma
2018 Recap Hey guys!  I'm back!  I know I haven't posted a lot this past year.  But it's been an exciting, hectic few years for us as a family.  I've made several quilts that I'm going to blast through.  As I get older, times flies by so fast!  Not a joke.  So all of you youngsters out there, enjoy each day and don't take it for granted! 1.  The most exciting event is m y youngest son got married to a very sweet young lady, Lily.  Their picture is below.  It was the most beautiful, calm, full of love wedding that I've been to.  We had only close family and a few friends.  Aren't they gorgeous! 2.  My husband and I traveled to Italy for two weeks to see my sister and brother in law.  We had a fabulous time!  Italy is beautiful and overwhelmingly full of history! These are some of the best pictures that we took.  Our favorite city to visit was Florence, Italy by far.  We enjoyed walking and roaming around, people watching, just enjoying each oth

Another member of the family

We all love our kids and want to keep those old baby clothes.  I've made a couple of memory quilts with old kids clothes.  I need to post pictures of the last one I did because I made a huge boo boo.  But my quick thinking husband helped me figure a fix.  That's not what I want to write about now.  I want to write about our pets.  Our other kids that we love.  The ones that don't talk back and actually listen to you. A good friend of mine lost her beloved dog.  He was a great dog and she took him to a lot of shows.  He was her baby.  So she was very, very sad when he passed.  She asked me to make a ribbon quilt out of his old show ribbons. Ribbon quilt?!  What is that?!  I have never heard of that before.  And I've been quilting a LONG time!  So I Pinterest-ed (is that a word???  It is now.) it.  And there are beautiful ribbon quilts out there. She gave me three boxes of ribbons and a few of her favorite pictures.  One box had all of his AKC ribbons for agility in