Skip to main content

A kind, humble man

I haven't posted for over a week because my father in law got very sick and passed away on March 15.  He died from complications of COPD, emphysema and congestive heart.  I want to tell you about him.

First of all, he loved his family.  He wasn't touchy, feely, huggy...but he loved us.  I think he always enjoyed a good hug.  But we had to come hug him.  He wouldn't come hug us first.  He told my husband once that I was special and he should be good to me.  I never let my husband forget that.  I think it's because I have an engineering degree and work in the same defense industry he did for so many years.  We had a quiet connection...mutual admiration as my mom told me.  I made him his favorite peanut butter pie for any and every occasion...any excuse I could think of, I would make him that pie. He probably shouldn't have had it, but I figured if I could give him something he enjoyed, then I would do it.  I usually made two so he could freeze one and have it later.

When I tried to take his picture, most of the time he would make a face at me.  So it was nice to have those pictures in his slideshow.  It showed a different, funny side of him.  You wouldn't think he had a funny side because he was always sitting by watching everyone.  He didn't say much until he was ready to add something meaty to our conversation.  Or he would tell us a joke he heard.  I was hugging my husband once and afterward, I sat down beside my father in law and he said to me You love him, don't you?  I said Yeah, he's ok and I winked at him. He just kind of chuckled, but I know he appreciated how much I love his son.  That was my father in law, quietly watching us.

He loved my boys.  They used to say Papa doesn't say much, but when he talks you listen.  My boys enjoyed engaging him in conversation over politics (that was a fun topic) and what they were in to...especially college and their military experiences or telling him the fun things they did with their friends.  I think he was proud that his grandsons are both in the military.  I added my favorite picture of my boys with their Papa below.  The smile on my father in law's face says it all.

He loved his granddaughters too.  He would do anything for those girls.  My young niece and her Papa had a special bond.  She read him books, told him about her day, hugged and kissed him and told him how much she loved him.  My daughter and he had a special bond too.  She was a little difficult at times, but her Papa was always there for her...ready to lend a helping hand.

I miss my father in law.  I wish life wasn't so busy that I had more time to do more things with him.  I think he and I could have done some fun projects together.  One time while in graduate school, I told him I didn't know how to use MathCad.  So he asked me for a copy (free trial version) and loaded it on his computer. The next time I was over he said he used it.  But I had moved on and was busy with the kids and school, life I guess, and I never took the time to sit with him.  I know he would have enjoyed teaching me.  I'm very sorry about that. I guess what I'm taking from the experience of losing him is that I wish I would have taken more time, set better priorities, not been so selfish and caught up in my life...taken the time to enjoy his company.

As he got sick and was in the hospital and rehab, when I'd leave, I'd kiss the top of his head and tell him to behave.  He'd say No!  Then when he was frustrated because the nurses wouldn't listen to him and he knew he was right...I'd kiss the top of his head and tell him Give them hell. He'd nod his head because talking took too much energy and oxygen.  We were all there with him, except my oldest son who is on deployment, when he passed.  I hope he knew how much we all loved him.  I hope he felt us praying over him and telling him it was ok to let go.  That we'd be ok.  But we miss him terribly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 In a Flash

Is it already 2020?  How did that happen?  I promise you I did a ton of quilting last year.  I'll post them all below. But first, my husband and I also went on a grand adventure for our 20th anniversary! You'll have to check out those blog posts on my travel site:   https://cynztravelblog.blogspot.com/ Let's see:  the first quilt of the year went to a return customer.  I made her daughter a quilt and she asked me to make her son a tshirt quilt.  He was getting married and had just joined the Air Force.  This turned into a huge quilt.  But she told me to use all of the shirts she gave me. I made some place mats to send to California for Katie.  I used the same color fabrics that I had leftover from her tshirt quilt.  They turned out really cute! I made my nephew a few fun gifts. They met us in Glacier National Park for a week. Did I tell you that my husband and I took an amazing 20th anniversary trip to Glacier National Park in Montana?!  It is a ma
2018 Recap Hey guys!  I'm back!  I know I haven't posted a lot this past year.  But it's been an exciting, hectic few years for us as a family.  I've made several quilts that I'm going to blast through.  As I get older, times flies by so fast!  Not a joke.  So all of you youngsters out there, enjoy each day and don't take it for granted! 1.  The most exciting event is m y youngest son got married to a very sweet young lady, Lily.  Their picture is below.  It was the most beautiful, calm, full of love wedding that I've been to.  We had only close family and a few friends.  Aren't they gorgeous! 2.  My husband and I traveled to Italy for two weeks to see my sister and brother in law.  We had a fabulous time!  Italy is beautiful and overwhelmingly full of history! These are some of the best pictures that we took.  Our favorite city to visit was Florence, Italy by far.  We enjoyed walking and roaming around, people watching, just enjoying each oth

Another member of the family

We all love our kids and want to keep those old baby clothes.  I've made a couple of memory quilts with old kids clothes.  I need to post pictures of the last one I did because I made a huge boo boo.  But my quick thinking husband helped me figure a fix.  That's not what I want to write about now.  I want to write about our pets.  Our other kids that we love.  The ones that don't talk back and actually listen to you. A good friend of mine lost her beloved dog.  He was a great dog and she took him to a lot of shows.  He was her baby.  So she was very, very sad when he passed.  She asked me to make a ribbon quilt out of his old show ribbons. Ribbon quilt?!  What is that?!  I have never heard of that before.  And I've been quilting a LONG time!  So I Pinterest-ed (is that a word???  It is now.) it.  And there are beautiful ribbon quilts out there. She gave me three boxes of ribbons and a few of her favorite pictures.  One box had all of his AKC ribbons for agility in